Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Miracle In My Life!

I thought I would take some time to share a little “miracle” that has happened in my life recently.
These past few months have been a huge time of change for me. I got engaged, set the date for our wedding (May 7, 2011), and started working full-time. This has been such a joy-filled time in my life, but with change comes a lot of fear and uncertainty. My current job has also added a lot of stress since it’s low-paying and demanding. Towards the end of the summer I prayed for a new job, and applied like crazy to every job opening that I found. I have never had a hard time finding a job, but I didn’t get one call back from the jobs that I applied to. I finally decided to stick it out, and try to move my way up in the company.

A month ago I asked for a permanent position. My contract ends at the end of October, and I needed to figure out what my plans were going to be, especially since I’m getting married so soon. I was offered a permanent position, but was never told any details about my salary. This was an extremely frustrating time for me, and I prayed so much that my new position would have a reasonable wage. I began to do some calculations, and decided that I didn’t need to make too much to survive in our first year of marriage. I began praying for a specific hourly wage. I remained patient, waiting for my boss to approach me, and continued in prayer for God’s Will.

I prayed for my specific wage for about 10 days. On Thursday I got called into my boss’s office and was offered a promotion to the Finance Department, and a junior salary. The salary amount worked out to be exactly the hourly wage that I had been praying for. I could not believe it! I went to the bathroom and cried and thanked Jesus.

After a few hours my euphoria wore off and I began to worry. I began thinking, is this going to be enough? We will have to make huge sacrifices in our first year of marriage with Daniel studying full-time. I began to worry about money, and stress about every little thought that creeped into my mind. I spent most of my weekend calculating costs, and became irritable and unkind to my fiancé. Instead of joyfully celebrating God’s provision in our lives, I was ungrateful and worried.

For the past 2 days I have gone back to praying, since worrying wasn’t working out so well for me. I’ve chosen to cling to God’s Word instead of my calculator. When a fear creeps up in my mind I close my eyes and give my worrisome thought to God.

I know it’s unusual to talk about wages on a blog, I feel kind of awkward even sharing this news. But, it’s important, and God displays his grace and his provision in all things. If God loved me enough to die on the cross for me, why would he not provide me with enough money to pay for my school debt, or pay for my rent and car insurance?

I can already see that money can potentially weasel its way into my marriage, and I confess that this weekend I allowed it to consume me. But, nothing is under my control, and God is so clearly in control of every aspect of my life. I want to commit my time to giving Jesus praise, to worshiping him while I’m at work or at home, and my surrendering everything to him.

This week has been a huge learning experience for me. God has been planting so many seeds in my heart and I’m confident that through studying his word and going before him in prayer he will grow in me patience, and trust in Him. I just wanted to share the joy that I have in Christ, and the reason for my joy is the loving and patient Father that we have in heaven. He is so awesome to teach us great lessons and bring us joy through it all.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I think this is very cool to read, thanks for your honestly. It is so cool reading your blogs... keep up the great encouragement through sharing how God is working in your life and what He is challenging you with.
    I know that the stress of finances is a big thing for me. Although I am not engaged... I hope to be after school finishes [still a few more years to go] and yet I worry about how this could ever work because I know I will have so much debt to pay off after graduation. Thank you for your encouragement to just pray and trust God in everything.

    All the best wishes for you in your marriage :D

    ReplyDelete