Sunday, October 31, 2010

Are you broken?

My prayer for this blog is that Christ would speak through me. If these words are not honouring to God they are counted as meaningless and empty. But, if these words speak truth (because of Christ Jesus, and not me) than no matter who hates the words that are written, they will count for something, and they will be sweet to the ears of my Lord. To Him be all Glory and Power and Praise.


“a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” Psalm 51: 17

David wrote these words after he had committed adultery with Bathsheba. I think that there is one word that can stir up many emotions and memories in us all: Broken. After David had committed adultery with Bathsheba, and knowingly sent her husband into a battle that would kill him, David felt broken. This week I have felt so broken. I have prayed for a gentle and quiet spirit. I have prayed for strength to overcome temptation, and for humility and peace and a deeper understanding of grace. But, I have still felt broken in my sin, past, present, and future.

As I have been praying and seeking God in His Word I have realized that perhaps my brokenness is an answer to my prayers. My brokenness causes me to acknowledge my sin, continually repent before God, and seek a life-change that I cannot produce on my own. Instead of taking my sin into my own hands, I have given it to God. I cannot be in control. I am too tired, and too weak to fight this battle on my own anymore.

Charles Spurgeon says,

“The fifty-first Psalm is the photograph of a contrite spirit. Let us seek after the like brokenness of heart; for however excellent our words may be, if our heart is not conscious of the hell-deservingness of sin, we cannot expect to find forgiveness.”

The words in Psalm 51 bring me to my knees in repentance. They also bring me great joy, for God will not despise our broken hearts. How much more does our Father have to prove his love for us? He took our sin with him to the cross. The eternal and true God, Jesus Christ, in his perfection, took our sin and our filth and made it his own, paying our due penalty on the cross. How much more will our Father do for us then?

Why are you broken? What sins have you committed that bring you to your knees in despair? Nothing is bigger than Him, and he has paid it all so that we can be free. I pray that if you do not know Jesus, that you will surrender your life to Him. Only in Christ will you find forgiveness and freedom from sin and eternal life in Heaven. Where will you go when you die? The decision to seek Christ and honour and obey Him will be the most life-changing and important decision that you make.

If you do know Christ, then embrace the freedom that you have from sin! This is something that I continually struggle with. Through Christ Jesus we have died to sin, and it no longer has any power over us. I pray that you would seek God to change the areas in your life that you see sin. That you would trust in the forgiveness found in Christ, and no longer live in the shame of past sins.

We must turn to Jesus in all that we do. The moment that we take anything into our hands, whether it is our finances, our marriages, our time-management, or our jobs, they will crumble. Please Jesus teach this Truth to me, make this real in my life. I have sinned by omitting you from so many areas of my life, please change me and my heart to seek after you.

“There is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” – Romans 8:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment