Monday, October 11, 2010

10 Things I'm Thankful For

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I thought that I would share 10 things that I am thankful for.

1. My God. I am so thankful for the relationship that I have with my Lord, Jesus Christ. Some days I forget what my purpose is, but God is so good at bringing me back to Him, my purpose and my life. My life is never filled with more joy than when my whole heart, soul, and mind is focused on bringing glory to my Father. I’m so thankful that I no longer have to live feeling alone and purposeless. Thank you for being my one true love Jesus!

2. My Beloved. It has been 1.5 years since I met my beloved, Daniel. Over time we have grown to know each other better than anyone else. I’m honoured that Daniel is going to become my husband in 7 months, and that we can begin our life together as one. I’m thankful that God knew exactly what I needed in a man, and allowed me to marry him and serve him. I feel like there is no one on earth more perfect for me, and I'm honoured to share my Thanksgiving with my # 2, Daniel.

As a side note, today I wasn’t respectful or loving to Daniel. By disrespecting Daniel, I was also disrespecting our Lord. I’m sorry to both my God and Daniel for being selfish and unthankful. I love the forgiveness that I can find in Jesus, and that Daniel is so quick to forgive me when I make mistakes.

3. My Family. I’m so thankful for my family, namely my mother. She has done so much for me over the past 21 years, and I love that I get to learn more about her the older that I get. Yesterday she was teasing me about something and I told her that I was going to remove her from my 10 things I’m thankful for. I hope you know Mom that I was only joking! I don’t tell you enough how thankful I am for you, how much you teach me about life, and how honoured I am to call you my Mama Bear!

4. The Bible. I went through a period in my life as a Christian where I did not read my Bible. During this time my life took a turn for the worse. I truly believe that Christ sustains me through his Word. I’m so thankful for Scripture, and how accessible different Bibles and translations are in Canada. I have learned so much from God’s Word, and have become stronger in my walk with Christ the more that I read and study his Word.

5. Cooking. I never used to like cooking. It has only been over the past year or so that I have began to cook and actually make meals that I am proud of. I’m so thankful for my Mother (again) who has taught me how to cook and introduced me to many recipes. I love creating tasty and beautiful meals, and I pray that I can continue to do so and learn more about the craft of cooking along the way!

6. Theology. Two years ago if somebody had told me that they loved Theology I would have laughed. First of all, I would have laughed because I would have thought that they were a complete nerd. Second of all, I would have laughed because I felt awkward about not knowing what the word “Theology” means. Two years later, I have a Religious Studies Degree (well, I still have one more class to take), and I am in love with theology. I love reading about theology and doctrine, and studying scripture to allow God to convict me about my bad theology and re-confirm my good theology. Today names like Mark Driscoll, Randy Alcorn, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, John Piper, and Don Carson excite me. I’m so thankful that God has given me a new passion that I never even knew existed!

7. My Friends. I will be the first to admit that I do not have a lot of friends. But, the friends that I do have are life-time friends, and I love them so much. I’m so thankful for my best friend Ashley, who lives on the other side of the country, but talks to me almost daily. For friends like Johanna, who prove that cousins can have a real friendship and love each other like sisters. For friends like Morgan who make me laugh so much no matter what kind of day I’m having. For friends like Danielle who share such an intimate connection that nothing will ever break. For beautiful friends like Charelle who encourage me to live a life of godliness. For friends (and a sister) like Allie who bring out the goofiness in me. I’m thankful for all of my friends, nuff said!

8. Writing. I’m thankful that I have this blog, and that God has given me a passion to write. Ever since I was in elementary school I have wanted to be a writer. Lately I feel a tug at my heart to pursue writing more seriously, and I pray that if this is God’s Will that I would only write to bring God Glory. Thank you Jesus for the gift of words, may my words be used to bring others closer to you.

9. Christian Ministries. There are a few Christian ministries that have changed my life and the way that I view the world. To name a few: Campus for Christ Ministries, Compassion Canada, Eternal Perspective Ministries, The Resurgence, and Desiring God. These Ministries may focus on different things, but all have a common purpose: Sharing the Good News of Jesus. I will be writing a blog shortly about my view on Generous giving to ministries close to your heart, and these are just a few ministries that are close to mine. I’m thankful for all that God is doing in our world, and that I get to be a small part of some of these ministries.

10. The Cross. I would not be writing this blog if it was not for the Cross. Were it not for the Cross I would not have this joy in my heart, and I would not be focusing on thankfulness today. Jesus Christ paid the price for my sin, and because of the blood that he shed on the Cross I am free from the bondage of sin and the suffering induced by my sin. Thank you Jesus for forgiving my sin, for paying my debt, and for giving me eternal life. I do not deserve the life that I have, but Jesus has made this life of mine possible. I’m thankful and undeserving of such a beautiful gift. I pray that my lifetime will be spent pursuing Jesus, and sharing my hope with others.

Now it’s your turn. What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for you!!! <3 And I am thankful for the meals you will one day make me :)

    ReplyDelete