Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fasting: Week One (TV)

"Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregarded it." John Wesley


I would say that our culture is a culture that completely disregards the spiritual discipline of fasting. In our Small Groups at the church that I attend we have been challenged to examine our prayer life, and make prayer a priority. Over the past few weeks I have drawn closer to God in prayer, and have really seen the life-altering impact that daily prayer has on my life (especially in the mornings!) I find myself praying throughout the day, enjoying my communion with with God while I eat my breakfast, turn on my computer at work in the morning, speak with a frustrating client, and come home weary and hungry. Prayer has sustained me the last few weeks, and I’m so thankful for my Small Group for the encouragement and accountability that I have been receiving, and for the my gracious and loving Father, who has been patiently guiding me and giving me the strength and desire to seek him daily.

Scripture is clear that prayer is to be a part of our daily walk with Christ:

“rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18) – wow this verse is such an encouragement, even as I type it out!

Back to fasting, I truly believe that fasting is something that God calls us to do prayerfully, and continually in our walk with Christ, as guided by the Holy Spirit. Especially in the culture that we live in, one of instant gratification, selfishness, and abounding idolatry, fasting is a much needed spiritual discipline.

Scripture also makes it clear that fasting is not an option; it’s needed for spiritual growth as a Christian:

“I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven” (Nehemiah 1:4)

“Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from him a safe journey for ourselves, our children, and all our goods.” (Ezra 8: 21)

“ the days will come when the bridgegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.” (Matthew 9:15)

And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” (Matthew 6: 16- 18)

I know that there are idols within my heart, and things that I enjoy in my life that could potentially become idols. I feel that by committing time to prayer, and fasting from these potential idols, God will and challenge me in unbelievable ways.

Monday marked the beginning of a four-week journey that I am taking. There are a few things in my life that have the potential to take-over my life. Four of these potential-idols are: food, money, facebook, and TV. This week I am fasting from TV, and God has already been teaching me and growing me during this time.

Today marks the third-day of being TV-free, and about an hour ago I just finished a book that I started on Monday. Normally it would take me about 2 weeks to finish a book that took me only 3 days. I’m so thankful for the rest that I have found in Jesus, for the time I get to spend in prayer, and for the joy that has been literally consuming me.

I’m sure there will be spiritual attacks, and I am praying that Christ gives me the strength, and teaches me through this process. Please pray for me as well. Today at work I shared my love for Jesus with an individual at work. Tonight I went out and bought him a Bible. I’m nervous to give him the Bible, he didn’t seek all too interested when I spoke with him earlier today. But, I feel the Spirit moving me to do this.

I hope this encourages you to think about the idols or potential idols in your life. I don’t claim to be an “expert” on fasting, since this is truly one of the first times that I have seriously fasted, but Christ has been giving me the strength through this all.

Oh, and stay tuned for next week. I’ll be fasting from facebook. I’m already wishing I could re-consider!

To HIM be the glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment