Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blizzard 2010 Update

Hey Everybody!

I'm home from Blizzard and I thought that I'd give you all an update!

First of all, I had no idea what to expect this weekend. I discovered Blizzard on the CBOQ (Canadian Baptists of Ontario & Quebec) website, and felt God was telling me to apply. I was so thankful that CBOQ actually accepted me as an Intern, since they had never even met me! They also accepted Daniel, which was great since I didn't have to go into this experience on my own.

This weekend was extremely trying. I was ill-prepared, lost, and overwhelmed. By the grace of God throughout the weekend I made great friends, met people who love God above all, had tons of fun, and got to eat some amazing food! At the same time my faith was constantly tested, and my heart was continually battling emotions.

The biggest part of this weekend was the many different spiritual attacks I faced. The first night I struggled with falling asleep and I was overcome with loneliness and fear. I didn't know anybody, I felt alone, I didn't know what I was doing there. I cried myself to sleep, worried about what the weekend would be like. When I woke up I was sick to my stomach, mostly from exhaustion and being so overwhelmed. I prayed, and talked to some of the girls about it, and by breakfast I was feeling so much better. Throughout the weekend I would face troubling thoughts. By lunch I would be exhausted, and I wondered how I would make it to the end of the night. At times I didn't know where to go, and I felt embarrassed to ask questions. At moments I would question if my heart was in the right place. Why am I even serving? Am I serving joyfully or selfishly? Some moments I overcame my spiritual battles, and some moments I did not.

My point in sharing this is to hopefully provide encouragement and perhaps some wisdom. This weekend I dealt with many attacks, but I also made some great friends who recognized my struggle and continually prayed over me. The moments when I received the most prayer where the moments when I had energy, joy in serving, and a will to endure. Below I'd like to share some practical things that I will do differently next year. Perhaps they will help you the next time you serve.

Before Blizzard:
  • Start praying about 2 weeks in advance for protection against spiritual attacks and for strength for the weekend.
  • Pray for other team members, as well as youth leaders and students that will be attending.
  • Select a few scriptures to memorize and meditate on during the weekend. When the day becomes overwhelming these scriptures will provide comfort and act as a reminder that we are serving our Lord Jesus.
Practical Things To Pack:
  • Ear plugs for sleeping, something I will never leave without from now on. Also, a Sleep Mask might help to block out light.
  • Boots & Running Shoes. It's no fun wearing heavy boots all weekend. Trust me.
  • Tea Bags. I really love having tea in the morning, and for some reason Tetley Orange Pekoe is the only way to go.
I hope everybody has a blessed week! Thanks for all of you who kept me in your prayers! I truly needed them this weekend.

Much Love,

Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment