Thursday, April 22, 2010

I need your advice

I just finished my last exam an hour ago! I still have one night class to take next semester, but still, this is a really exciting day for me! I’m officially a member of the working world, and I feel really comfortable here. I already have a job, and my contract goes until October 29, 2010, after that I will either stay with the company or move on to something new. However, God has put a desire on my heart since I was very young, and I feel like now is the time to chase my dream.

I want to start writing professionally.

I’ve been praying about this for awhile, and it’s something I have always dreamed of doing. I’ve decided to start by sending my work to different Christian women’s magazines. The beautiful part about being a Christian woman is knowing that God’s plan will always prevail. If God’s plan is to publish my work, it will happen. I feel great comfort in this, I know that God has given me this desire for a reason, and it will come to fruition in some way.

This leads to my question. What should I write about? I’m assuming that most of the people reading this are Christian women. What kinds of articles should I be submitting to be published? I have a lot of different ideas, but I’d like to hear what you think. Here are some of my ideas:

Purity: I could talk about issues facing women in the 21st century, pressures that we are experiencing, and ways to overcome this. This is something that is really important and needs to be talked about. I’m planning on writing some blogs about purity too, since it’s an issue that isn’t spoken of candidly in a lot of Christian circles.

Submission: This is a word that really turns a lot of people off. I’d love to dig deep into the Bible and find out what God means when he talks about submission. Specifically, I want to talk about what it means for a woman to submit to God.

Mothers & Daughters: I was thinking of writing an article about what a daughter really wants their mother to know about them. I could write it like a letter to my own mother. As a teenager there were so many things I wanted my mom to know, but I just didn’t have the words to tell her. This could be a way of making mother’s aware of issues their daughters are going through.

Gossip: I think that gossip is an issue that plagues so many women, especially Christian women. I find myself involved in ungodly discussions all too often. I haven’t developed this idea too much, but I’m sure I could find a lot to write about.

Let me know what you think of my ideas, or if there are any issues that you feel aren’t discussed enough amongst Christian women. Thanks so much for any advice that you can offer me!

3 comments:

  1. You have some amazing ideas and God has definitely gifted you with your writing. I particularly like your purity topic, which you've written about lately, but I absolutely love the idea of the letter from a daughter to her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie, this is awesome!

    Perhaps along with the purity thing, you could talk about what makes healthy vs. unhealthy relationships (and not just dating/marriage ones either). A lot of people don't always know how to go about developing good friendships, so that could be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bri :)
    I think the best route that I've seen you take, in the pattern with your writing, is personal experience. You write best when you write from the perspective like, "this is what happened to me. this is what it means to me" - highlight of those being the 'father' one. Just write about whatever comes to your heart or mind at any given time and don't try to find a pattern - one will emerge on its own. Honestly I think I could point out an emerging pattern, and it's that whenever you experience growth, you project it for others to see. You SHINE when you do that! It's amazing.

    For example, your exam stress one actually, literally, got me through an exam. You figured out a way to avoid stress and shared it.

    Just my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete