Sunday, April 25, 2010

Growing in Godliness

Writing about godliness is way easier than actually being godly. As you already know from my previous posts, I have been struggling with having a pure heart. This has caused me to really evaluate my life. I believe that in order to be godly we must have a practical plan regarding how we’re going to grow towards our goal. After reading this post today some people may think that I’m a legalist, perhaps even calling me judgemental. I will address this false opinion first, so that you can get a clearer picture of what I’m trying to say.


Right now I’m reading a book called Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World, it’s written by various godly pastors. C.J. Mahaney defines legalism in this book, he explains:

"Legalism is seeking to achieve forgiveness from God and acceptance by God through obedience to God. In other words, a legalist is anyone who behaves as if they can earn God’s approval and forgiveness through personal performance."

When we seek to evaluate our lives, where our passions are, what kind of thoughts we are thinking, we risk legalism. I continually have to remind myself: I am already loved and accepted by God, not because of anything I have done, but because of everything that he has done. Once we understand the beauty of grace our hearts should long to be changed to glorify God. This means a visible change in our attitudes, behaviours, thoughts, and actions.

The past few days I have been doing a “Worldliness Inventory”. I thought I would share with you parts of what I have been learning, in hopes to encourage and edify you. Everybody is different, and each person struggles differently, but I believe that everybody struggles with the seduction of earthly pleasures and desires.

I have been praying about ten areas of my life this week, and I encourage you to think of these ten areas as well. They are:

1. Conversation

2. Internet Activity

3. Manner of Dress

4. iPod Playlist

5. Television Habits

6. Hobbies

7. Leisure Time

8. Financial Transactions

9. Thoughts

10. Dreams

At this point you may think I’m crazy. Perhaps there’s something on this list that has resonated in your heart. I’m not trying to be a legalist by thinking about these ten things; I’m only seeking to glorify God in all that I do. I’m not trying to push my own convictions on you, just because I feel strongly about avoiding something in the media does not mean that I would pressure you to feel the same way. I do encourage you to seriously consider the way that you spend your time, and humbly submit your day to God. This is something that I am struggling with and there are things in my life that don’t glorify God that I still long to hold on to.

I thought I would share two things on my list that have convicted me this week. I will try to give some practical suggestions that are merely suggestions.

Manner of Dress:

How is my manner of dress ungodly?
- I own some revealing tank-tops, shorts that are too short, inappropriate dresses that are either too short, low-cut, or too tight. Most of these clothes are summer clothes.

What are some practical ways that I can grow in godliness in my manner of dress?
- Try to layer inappropriate clothes to make them appropriate. For example, today I had a tank top that showed way too much cleavage, but it was long so it covered my midriff. I wore that with a blue zip-up sweater (zipped all the way up), the sweater would normally be too short and shows my midriff, but the white tank covered it.
- Reserve inappropriate tanks or shorts for “lounge clothes” at home, or for sleepwear. Only wear these if you don’t have any males in the house, unless they are your husband of course (This works for me because I only live with my mom and she doesn’t care if she sees my cleavage).
- Every morning before I leave the house ask myself if what I am wearing will encourage godliness in the males I will interact with. Are my clothes going to encourage fellow brothers in Christ to stumble?
- For dress: sit down on a chair and make sure that they do not reveal too much of my leg. Merely standing up can be deceiving since dresses and skirts tend to ride up.
- Finally, I struggle with the idea of donating “inappropriate clothes”. I hate to see clothes thrown away, but I don’t know how I feel about donating a skimpy top to another woman to wear.

Thoughts:

How are my thoughts ungodly?
- Judgmental thoughts: I will judge a person based on their appearance, something that they say or do. This can be someone I know or a stranger.
- Lustful thoughts: I think this is self-explanatory
- Covetous thoughts: I will look at someone and desire what they have, sometimes it’s a married couple, or someone whose education is paid for, or someone who has a loving father, the list can go on.
- Malicious Thoughts: I will feel angry or resentment towards a person and hatred will seize my heart and my thoughts

What are some practical ways that I can grow in godliness in my thoughts?
- Pray every time a sinful thought occurs
- Make sure that I’m in the word daily, multiple times a day, meditating on scripture so that Truth is on my heart. Perhaps even writing scripture on a notepad at work and looking at it ever half an hour.
- This is not a battle that can be fought alone. I need to recognize this and pray for God to change my heart and my thoughts constantly
- Have a friend (or multiple friends) keep me accountable. This can mean they will sporadically ask me, “what are you thinking?” throughout the day, or if that’s not possible they can ask me to confess my sinful thoughts to them so that they can pray over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment